Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Success!

Yesterday was Thanksgiving Day!  There is no better holiday, in my mind, than one where the only goal is to get together and have a nice meal.  Generally Thanksgiving is the one day every year when 'no one diets', but we are doing P90X.  We have spent the last month giving our best to adapt our lifestyle to our diet.  -I consider the word 'diet' a little misused, as it simply means 'what is eaten regularly', and everybody eats regularly.-  Vegetarians usually don't eat meat just because it is a 'special day', why should we eat what we know is bad for us?  I planned our meal, and my day, according to what I know to be good nutrition.
The goal was something simple with low fat, low sodium, high protein, and high fiber.  The 'recipes' I used included no butter, no cream/or whole milk, no condensed soups, and added vegetables wherever they fit.
Here's what we had:

  • Turkey- 'Foster Farms Natural', stuffed with big chunks of carrots, celery and onion, and roasted in a roasting bag, breast down.
  • Mashed Potatoes and Carrots- four organic carrots, four potatoes, and half a red onion, chopped and boiled, then mashed with low sodium, free range, organic chicken broth.
  • Green Beans- farmers market to my freezer in October, lightly steamed with dried cranberries, and garnished with almond flakes.
  • Gravy- red and white onions sautéed with garlic and mushrooms in just a little oil, added chicken broth to avoid scorching.  I then pureed this with a tablespoon of my mashed potatoes and added it to a few cups of turkey drippings.  I added parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, and a little salt and pepper, then stirred and heated to boiling.  It was probably the most complicated and least nutritious part of our meal, but was still healthier than the pan gravy I usually make.
It was all experimental but I told my family they could add salt and butter if they wanted, and I don't think anyone did.  Everything got great reviews, and everyone got stuffed with a healthy meal :)  My husband actually thought we were 'cheating' on our diet.  After dinner everyone but me had some Umpqua Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice-cream.
When my husband had left for work and everyone else had gone home I had a big cup of 'Candy Cane Lane'(Celestial Seasonings) Tea, then did the Plyometrics workout that I had intended to do that morning.  My $12 heart rate monitor said I burned about 1000 calories in that workout.  A perfect end to a great day!  I planned our meal and my day according to the fitness program I've been working so hard to stick to and I succeeded!
Maybe next year I can go with more organics and raw foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment