Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Love it, Hate it

P90X is a set of diverse exercise routines, including yoga, Kenpo Karate, plyometrics, weight lifting, and cardio.  Because of this there is something everyone can love, and something everyone can hate.  I was surprised that I do not enjoy yoga once a week, but there is good reason.  Yoga X is 90 minutes long, because of this it is very repetitive and tedious.  I love my cardio days, because at the end I am drenched in sweat and am completely drained.  After Cardio X I know I've done my best workout of the week.  Kenpo X is my second least favorite, but that is only because Karate is so out of character for me.  I am not a fighter at all and have very little understand of the vocabulary.  For example, "Jab/Cross/Hook/Uppercut" only means "Punch/Punch/Punch/Punch" to me.  It's a lot to learn and I find it hard to keep up sometimes.  Also, if I were to choose a martial art form to learn it would be Kung Fu, as most styles focus on the movement of energy and, though powerful, in practice can be more like yoga than fighting. 
The difficulty level of all P90X routines is a challenge for me because the program is designed for those who are either a little athletic now, or were once very athletic.  I've seen many success stories of former Marines, like my husband, who wanted to become well oiled machines again, and ended up in the best shape of their life. 
P90X also comes with a complete nutrition plan, in the form of a book about 100 pages long.  It includes recipes, weekly meal plans, tips on light cooking, and many options.  Between my husband and I, he is in charge of making sure we both do our daily exercises, and I am in charge of nutrition.  I'll go into this in much more detail next time..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment